Friday, January 2, 2015

Elementals 7

    Tony, Misha and I lived quietly in that house for six months. Publicly Tony and I were a newly married couple with a daughter. Just as Jayson and I should have been. Tony got a job in construction and made sure he was paid in cash. I was a stay at home wife and mother. Tony kept pictures of Misha in his wallet and showed them proudly to the neighbors. Privately, I was a widow mourning the loss of her husband. I didn't take my ring off, I hoped that every breeze was Jayson returning, I stopped trying to rekindle the flame inside me. Tony was gentle, he never pushed me to move on or suck it up. He kept his distance on days when his brown hair, fair skin, and tone of voice were an overwhelming reminder of Jayson. He spent his time at home entertaining his niece and being the only father figure she'd know. 

     I allowed myself to live this sad existence for six months until one day a breeze moved through the trees out back and I didn't catch my breath and wait for Jayson to appear. I still felt a pain in my heart but it was bearable now. I had been standing at the back door watching the little yard be basked in the light of the full moon. I knew it was time to get my fire back. After all the strength of my fire and the steady command of the Flames is what sets me apart from other Fire Elementals. I stepped off the porch and into the full moon light. I stayed outside under the moon all night drawing from its energy. Tony found me asleep in the grass in the early morning hours. He touched my shoulder and shook me lightly to wake me. When I opened my eyes there was a circle of scorched grass around me and Tony was shaking his hand. "You're burning up"he said. "If I wasn't water you would have burned me". "Sorry" I yawned smiling. I looked at Tony and asked "do you know what this means?" He shook his head then said " we have to leave". 

   "No, it means I'm back!" I said proudly. "I get that, but if you burned all night, we can't be sure that the retrievers won't pick up on it." Tony reminded me. In my mourning state I'd forgotten about the retrievers. A team of Elementals who work for the elders. They are trained in tracking down Elementals who break the rules and keep an eye on those who have chosen to live among the humans. I followed Tony inside and asked "where else can we go that's safe." He told me then of a friend he made during his high school days. Tony was a couple of years ahead of Jayson and me in school and I didn't really see much of him until after Jayson and I got together. Tony explained to me that she was one of us but that because her family had married humans her bloodline was not as pure as ours. He said that because she hated feeling weak that she lived a private life off the grid. Tony also explained that she learned how to take care of herself the way humans do, hand to hand combat and that she was good with weapons. "I guess that's what sets her apart" I said in response. "Do you think she'll let us stay?" "Only one way to find out" with that he pulled out his cell phone and dialed a number. As he walked away I hear him say "Alexis, I need to ask you something." 

    The front door opens pulling me out of my revelry. Alexis walks in, carrying a few bags and looking like the drive has calmed her. Misha comes running in behind her with Tony on her heels threatening to tickle her. I put the map down as Alexis clears her throat. "Alright, who's ready to train?" She asks. Tony, Misha and I all raise our hands and say "me." 

No comments:

Post a Comment