Sunday, January 11, 2015

Elementals 15

     Tony slows down to the speed limit when we've gotten far enough away from the cabin. Misha sniffles in the backseat. I want to comfort her, but my heart is too heavy. I gather up the strength to ask Tony "what happened when you were gone?" Tony let's out a sigh then goes into his story. 
      "I needed a breather after this morning. I drove further than necessary to clear my head. It was strange there was not a car on the road. Eerie. I stopped a maybe the tenth gas station and started to fill up. While I was standing outside the car the strangest thing happened. A strong wind picked up the signs started to twist, poles were shaking but the night was still outside of the gas station. I took it as a sign that something was wrong. I jumped in the car and headed back."
     "When I got back to the road leading to the cabin I saw the fire. I slowed down hoping to remain unnoticed. I continued up the road and stopped when I saw her. She was fighting a Retriever. She was amazing. I think the retriever was Earth, but she was able to keep him so busy with hand to hand combat that he gave up his efforts to use his powers. I jumped out of the car to join her in the fight. My sudden movement distracted the retriever. She moved quickly, she grabbed him around the neck from behind and twisted. When the retriever dropped to the ground she ran inside the cabin."
    "She came out moments later with the map and the suitcase. We jumped back into the car. She told me that you had been training and when she ordered you to catch her she took off running. She slowed when she couldn't hear you two behind her anymore. Before she could turn back she'd run into the Earth retriever opening up the crack in the ground. Well you know the rest." As he finishes I notice he is unable to say Alexis' name.
    As silence takes over the car I look into the back seat and see that the suitcase is indeed in the back with Misha. Her eyes are closed and her breathing is steady, sleep has taken her. I take off my seatbelt  and get to my knees so that I can lean into the back. I open one if the pockets on the front of the black suitcase and put my hand in. I rummage around until I find it. I pull the chain out of the suit case and hold it tight. I zip the pocket and return to my seat buckling my seatbelt. I put the chain around my neck and lean my head lightly on the window. A light rain has begun to fall and I wonder if Tony's sadness is the cause. 
    The car comes to a stop and I shake my head. We are at a gas station and Tony is pumping gas. I don't remember falling asleep. I loosen my hand that has been tightly clutching a key hanging from the chain around my neck. The key is one of the few things my father gave me after my mother passed on. The key opens a box containing something that I know I'll need in the near future if Misha and I are to survive.

No comments:

Post a Comment