Friday, January 30, 2015

Elementals 30

       Tony and I move out of the trees and follow them at a distance. We are as quiet as possible and the men don't seem to notice us. My mind works away trying to formulate a plan. How can we go in, grab Misha and get out of there safely? The men stop at a small clearing where a circle of people dressed in hooded white robes stand. Mr. Flames practically drags little Misha into the center. A chant that I can't quite make out begins as the retrievers step to the outside of the circle. Immediately the fever dream I had flashes into my mind. Only this is worse because Misha is only five and she's standing quietly in the circle looking terrified and confused. She's not tied in anyway and part of me wishes she'd make a run for it. 
    I inch closer and Tony does the same. My body is so warm I think maybe the fever is returning. When we are closer I hear an elder demanding a display of power from Misha. She stands there motionless unable to demonstrate powers that she does not have or is not yet in control of. The wind rustles leaves in the trees above her and I think is that Misha? Then the elder who apparently feels Misha's stillness is an act of defiance slaps her across the face. 
     I see nothing but bright red, flecks of orange and I smell fire. I charge into the circle of retrievers who jump out of my way. Then through to the elders who are gasping in shock. When I reach out to grab the one who is still standing in front of Misha I see that my entire arm is engulfed in flames. The elder's eyes grow large in suprise. I look down and see my legs and feet are also engulfed in flames. I realize then that my entire body is covered with flames. I can't feel them, but I can sense them. My hand connects with the elder's robes. I pull him towards me and away from Misha. He let's out a guttural scream as his robes erupt in flames. I wrap him into a flame laced hug and let go when the smell of burned flesh reaches my nose. He falls to the ground and I don't dare look at what I've done.
    Misha stares at he mother a monster whose body is covered in angry flames. She decides that this is the moment to run. Her legs move swiftly and at one point I swear she is no longer touching the ground running on the wind. The elders and retrievers have scattered caring more about saving themselves then recapturing Misha. I want to go after her but I hesitate. I look around remembering that Tony was here with me. My eyes find him just as what looks like and ocean wave washes over me. The fresh water puts me out completely. I am Roxie again. My stomach knots when I think of what I've done to an elder. I push the thought away, now is not the time. 
   Tony jogs into the woods and I follow as best I can with my t-shirt and jeans heavy from the water. We wind up back at the farmhouse and find that Misha has returned there and so has the retriever Mr. Flames. I try to light up again but nothing happens. I must have used up my stores of energy earlier. Tony doesn't bother with his water he knows water against fire can result in an endless standoff. 
    The retriever is holding Misha in front of him one arms across her chest. I make a step forward and the retriever says "don't even think about it" His finger tips spark. I stand there watching Misha. She appears un afraid. There are no tears  this time and something is gleaming in her right hand. Misha's gaze is locked onto Tony. Tony has one hand behind his back. What happens next is lightening fast. Tony nods his head yes, the small dagger slides down until Misha's small hand is holding it by the hilt. She reaches up in a flash and stabs the retriever in the arm. He groans and his hand falls away. Misha darts off to the side of the farm house where she is cut off by a sleek black BMW sedan. Then a gun shot rings out. I turn my attention away from Misha and see the retriever laying on his back blood seeping from a bullet wound. Tony is standing in the same spot with his arm stretched out holding a gun. "Tony?" I say surprised by the seen in front of me. He slides the gun into the back of his jeans and tugs his T-shirt down over it. Tony heads toward the BMW where Misha is standing frozen by the driver's side. I follow. As we get closer I realize that this particular car looks familiar.
      When Tony and I are close the driver's side door opens and out steps a very weak looking Alexis. My jaw drops just as she says "the three of you look like crap." Tony doesn't hesitate he takes a few purposeful strides towards her, then placing his hands on each side of her face he looks into her eyes and gives her a passionate kiss. While Tony and Alexis have their reunion I carefully approach Misha. I don't say anything instead I bend down and open my arms. Misha runs into them and I sweep her up to my chest. "Mommy " she whispers. "Yes. It's me. Mommy is here now." I say. A cool breeze wraps itself around us. I can hear Jayson's voice on the wind. "I love you. I'll see you soon." I look around but see nothing. "Alright everyone into the car. We have a safe house to get to." Alexis says. We pile into the car Tony at the wheel and head off into the night. I sit in the back seat with Misha one of her hands in mine. After everything we've been through my heart fills with hope from the whisper of a promise on the wind. 

No comments:

Post a Comment