Friday, January 9, 2015

Elementals 14

     As the noise gets closer I realize it's a
car and it's moving fast. I take a risk and turn my head so I can see behind me. The SUV flies into view and the passenger door opens. Alexis jumps out  her face twisted with rage. I start to make small steps to turn my body towards the car and remain between Misha and the retriever. The fire retriever is looking at Alexis quizzically. I don't think she's ever been on their radar. 
       Alexis surveys the huge crack, the scorched earth, and charred trees. I have never seen her so incensed. If she was fire we'd be standing in an inferno. The S.U.V. Creeps closer as Alexis sits down at the base of the tree.  The retriever starts to laugh. "Well that was easy, didn't even have to light up."he says arrogantly. 
       He doesn't see what I see. Alexis has one hand on the ground and the other on the tree. She's closed her eyes and I can see beads of sweat on her face. The crack begins to close and the branches of the tree grow to abnormally long lengths. By the time the retriever realizes what is happening I've grabbed Misha and made a break for it across the area that has already been sealed.
          I pull the back passenger door open and Misha jumps inside. I look back and see the retriever lighting flames in his hands. "Alexis!" I yell gesturing for her to run to the car. She shakes her head and keeps her hand on the tree. The branches have reached across to the next tree and begun forming a thick barrier. Tony leans out of the driver side window and calls to Alexis again. "Please, Alexis." Alexis is now the weakest I've ever seen her. She gets out "GO!" Just before she slumps to the ground. I see flames licking at the barrier and the branches weakening. The energy Alexis put into them has begun to fade. I jump in the passenger seat and Tony peels away.
      I can't believe this is happening again. Why do the few people in my small circle of trust keep having to sacrifice themselves to save us. In the little light from the car I see Tony wipe a tear from his face. Tears escape from my eyes as well and I turn to look out my window. As the trees and road whip passed I say to myself "Good bye Alexis of The Hunt. May you return to Mother Earth in peace." We drive on. 
       

No comments:

Post a Comment