Thursday, January 22, 2015

Elementals 23

     When we reach Lyndonville in Vermont I decide we need to get a motel room for the night. Misha has continued to be silent and I want to talk to her. Tony pulls into the lot of the first motel we see with a vacancy sign flashing in neon red. I dig out the credit card and drivers license for Derrick Peterson and give them to Tony. I wait in the car with Misha while he goes inside to rent a room. When he returns Misha and I are standing outside the car with our backpacks. 
     The room is in a corner on the bottom floor. It's at an angle that gives us a full view of the parking lot and office from the window. After locking up the room and making sure the curtains are closed tight I take Misha into the bathroom. "You're so quiet today." I observe as I run warm water in the bathtub. Misha shrugs her shoulders. "Come here." I say on my knees with my arms open. Misha complies and I give her a bear hug. When I let go she undresses and slips into the tub. As I help her bathe I sing "Love Story " to her. She hums along but does not say a word. The water in the tub moves as if a breeze has come through an open window and touched it. I look around and confirm what I already knew. There is no window in the bathroom. "Misha" I say tentatively, she looks up at me and the water stills. "Are you doing that?" I ask pointing to the water. She looks at me quizzically. I try again "have you tried to see if you have wind magic?" She shakes her head no. I help her out of the tub and into a clean T-shirt and underwear. 
       I carry Misha back into the room and lay her down in one of the double beds. Tony stands at the window looking out. "I'm going to get ice, maybe something from the vending machine." He tells me before stepping outside. I make sure the door is locked firmly behind him before I return to the bathroom. I undress and step into the stream of warm water coming from the shower head. In the shower I close my eyes and attempt to wash off the pain and sadness from the last few days. Tears start to escape my eyes and I allow them to fall. I give myself permission to break down alone in the shower. I cry for My mother, Jayson, Alexis, Misha and Tony. I cry until I think Arden himself can feel my sorrow. When I'm out of tears. I turn the water off and rebuild the tough exterior that has helped me get this far.
       Tony is sitting on the double bed across from where Misha is sleeping. His back is to me as I exit the bathroom. His head is down and I can make out a slight shaking of his shoulders. I sit on the bed next to him and put my hand on his. He squeezes it and says in a thin voice "when this is done, when you two are safe I'm going back for her. I can't leave her like that. It's not what she would want," He wipes away tears with his free hand. I've been so focused on my own life that I failed to see that not only did Tony love Alexis, but that he was in love with her. I lean my head on his shoulder and say "it's the right thing to do. I want you to be true to yourself. We'll be ok when the time comes." He squeezes my hand again and we sit like that in silence watching Misha sleep. 



No comments:

Post a Comment