Thursday, January 15, 2015

Elementals 18

      After walking for quite some time my legs are sore and I fear my beloved suitcase is reaching the end of it's life. "I need a break." I say to Tony who is walking arm and arm with Misha slightly ahead of me.
     They stop and I find a piece of a fallen tree just inside of the treeline. I sit there and they join me. Misha rubs her eyes and says "I'm hungry". It's well past lunch time for her and all we've eaten were the doughnuts this morning. I dig inside the suitcase and find a few protein bars. It's not much but it's something. We eat quietly while we rest.
    I notice that I've knocked my journal out of the suitcase. I lean over and pick it up. I know that it takes up much needed space in the suitcase, but I couldn't bring myself to leave it behind. I flip through the first few pages. They are the thoughts and experiences of a sad lonely teenager. My life was about perfecting the use of my power and planning revenge on the kids who bullied me. I open the journal to the middle and feel a pinprick of sorrow. Here I've written in detail about the day Jayson showed me how wind and fire work together. We created flames that I'm sure could be seen from well beyond the community. I slam the book closed and toss it back in the suitcase.
    " we need to get to civilization." I say. " I want to get supplies and backpacks to make this trip easier." " we should try to get another car too." Tony suggests. "We should pay cash for bus tickets. That way we can't be traced." I counter Tony's idea. "Looks like we have a plan." He says standing and taking over the suitcase. 
      After studying the map I find that we are about a mile away from the next little town. We brace ourselves and start the mile, bodies aching all the way. By the time we find a small shop selling hiking gear the suitcase has lost a wheel, Tony has Misha riding piggyback and I'm so tired I'm ready to steal a car for the rest of the trip. I sit on a bench inside the store and Tony lays Misha across my lap. He looks through backpacks hanging on the wall and selects two adult sized and one child sized. He walks around gathering a few other things we could use. I signal to him to grab some snacks. After Tony finishes paying he comes over and informs me that according to the cashier there is a burger place nearby. I wake Misha and we head over. 
     The three of us eat in silence we appreciate every bite. When I'm satiated I take the backpacks and the suitcase into the mother with Misha and me. While Misha is in the stall I repack. I distribute the items from the suitcase across the three backpacks. When I get to my journal I toss it. That part of my life is over. It's time to plan for the future. I make sure the key is secure around my neck then go into the stall while Misha keeps an eye on the backpacks. I have her recite the alphabet so that I am assured she is with me. "A B C D " she continues until very near the end. After S she goes quiet. I call her name and get no response. I hurry and open the stall door. The three backpacks and empty suitcase are on the floor, but Misha is nowhere in sight. 



No comments:

Post a Comment