Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Elementals 12

    Misha and I have convinced Alexis to give us more training. She stands in front of us her back to the healed tree, arms folded across her chest. In that position I can see the tiny scars that crisscross her arms. Tony told me that she got them when she was still in school and trying to figure out if she had received any Elemental gifts. He hadn't said more. I on the other hand have no scars. I sometimes think that my fire burns them away. "Faster!" Alexis orders pulling me away from my thoughts.
    Misha and I are running in place to improve our cardiovascular stamina as Alexis puts it. When I don't think I can keep going I bend over holding my knees and gasp that I need a break. "No breaks  when you're on the run." Alexis barks. Then says "catch me." As she takes off around the tree and further into the woods. Misha shoots passed me like lightening and I follow. The sun has set and unlike the first night the moon can barely be seen in the sky. No peace for me tonight I think to myself as Misha and I try to regain sight of Alexis.
    I take a second to look around and get my bearings. Misha pauses a few feet in front of me. A breeze kisses the back of my neck then seems to grow stronger as it moves through the trees. The leafs begin to shake and fall off the trees at an unnatural rate. "Sweety, come over to me , quickly " I whisper. Misha makes her way back to me understanding the urgency in my voice. I want to call out to Alexis, but I don't dare. 
    The all too familiar feeling of panic rises in my gut when the ground beneath our feet begins to shake. I grab Misha and try to think fast. For the first time I'm unprepared. I let myself feel safe here in the woods. Using my fire again and again to practice, losing control, making Tony and Alexis use their powers to show Misha. It's my fault I think. The retrievers picked up on us because I got sloppy. 
      When I see a crack beginning to run through the ground and toward the area where we stand I signal to Misha to come with me quietly. We start to make our way make towards the tree when I smell something familiar. Fire! 

No comments:

Post a Comment