Monday, January 5, 2015

Elementals 10

    That night I have a dreamless, fireless, calm sleep. The best I've had in days. I wake  up early and move Misha out from under my legs where she must have moved to in the middle of the night. I slip out of the bed and pad towards the kitchen. Just before I enter I hear voices. Tony and Alexis are arguing, I take a beat and try to give them privacy. "No, I can't." Alexis says. "I'm just asking you to think about it." Tony responds. Alexis sighs and says "I'll think about, but I'm not ready." There's a long pause and I take the opportunity to walk into the kitchen. Tony moves away from Alexis, grumbles good morning to me then says he's going to find a gas station to fill up the SUV. 
     "You ok?" I ask. "Fine." Alexis replies shortly. She sits at the counter with a glass of lemonade and sips it slowly. I rummage in the refrigerator for something to eat. After settling on milk and cereal I sit next to Alexis. I eat quietly while Alexis drinks her lemonade. She finishes her glass and says "wake Misha up and meet me back here in an hour." "Why?" I ask. "It's time I take you two to the sanctuary" she says criptically. 
       Exactly one hour later with her curls dangling loosely at her shoulders Misha stands next to me in the kitchen. Alexis approaches in another all black outfit that would make her practically disappear on a moonless night. "Alright ladies, follow me." She orders. We follow Alexis through the front door and around to the left side of the cabin. As Misha and I struggle to keep up with Alexis' long strides a shed comes into view. It's camoflauged well. Branches from trees on either side hang over it and it's been painted brown and green so that it blends in with the woods. "Welcome to the sanctuary."Alexis says while opening the doors. The first thing I can make out is her black BMW sedan. Misha steps forward and tries to see inside the car.  "I can't see in." She complains. Alexis informs Misha that the windows are tinted so that people can't see inside. She moves further inside the shed. Taking a set of keys out of her pocket she unlocks a wall cabinet at the back of the shed. "This is the real reason I brought you here" she says as she steps to the side of the now open cabinet. "Whoa." Misha squeaks. The cabinet is filled with an assortment of weapons.
    "Pick your poison." Alexis says slyly. Misha and I both eye a bow and arrow hanging majestically from the wall. I smile to myself knowing that Misha is likely reminded of the many bow and arrow carrying female characters in recent fiction. I am reminded of Artemis and her hunters. There was a time when I was much younger that I longed to join The hunt. My eyes move to empty hooks on the wall. "What happened there, somebody rob you?" I tease pointing to the empty hooks. "In a way." She responds. "Tony was here last night loading up" Alexis says lightly. "I have my fire. I don't really need a weapon." I say as I continue admiring the collection. "You never know what you might need in an emergency" Alexis says convincingly. I walk to the wall and pick up a gleaming knife with short handle. "Good". Alexis grins at me. "Now slip it in your boot. Always keep it on you." I slide the knife carefully into the side of my boot and stand. When I see Misha reaching for a small dagger I pull her hand back. I don't want my child to remember a life of violence, loss, fear and running. I want to leave her with a legacy of love, laughter and maybe a little fire. That's what I want Misha to always remember about her mommy. 
     Alexis walks over to me and places a hand on my arm. She looks me in the eye and quietly says "she's like me." Nodding her head towards Misha. "Yes, I guess she is." I reply. Alexis takes the dagger off the wall and squats next to Misha. She shows Misha how to use it. Then hands it over. Misha grins and slides the dagger into her little boot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment