Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Elementals 21

      I sat across from Eric in the little Italian restaurant. His smile was gorgeous he recommended fettuccine for me. The conversation was easy between us. "If you had to choose between the zoo, library or a museum to live for the rest of your life which would you choose?" Eric had been asking creative questions to get to know me all night. "That's easy. I'd choose the zoo. I need to be close to nature and well that's the closest of the three." I replied. "That's an interesting choice. I do love the great outdoors myself. What's your favorite part of nature?" "Sometimes I just love to be outside and feel the wind other times I just like to enjoy the scenery. Nature can be so beautiful." I had felt that the date was going well. Our waiter interrupted us then bringing dessert. I happily dug into my slice of lemon cake as we continued our conversation. The time had flown by. 
     "You know not all parts of nature are beautiful." Eric mentioned as if we hadn't been interrupted by the waiter. "Like what?" I asked. "Well nature can be destructive too. For example tornandos , or earthquakes and definitely fire." I instantly became alert at those words. I felt something was strange about him saying them. "Are you afraid of a little fire?" I asked testing his response. "Me? Never I always found it interesting. Wondered how it worked." His words were a bit too serious for my tastes. "I should get back. This is the first time I've gone out with anyone since..." I trailed off trying to sound like a nervous mother. He gave me that gleaming smile and stood up.
     As we drove back to the house I tried to keep the conversation short. I didn't want Eric to see that I was nervous. He continued to make small talk. "Ever been burned?" He asked. "No" I replied not wanting to elaborate. The drive seemed to be taking an extra long time. "I have" he continued. "That's why I don't care for fire. I still carry the scars from being burned as a kid." "Sorry" I told him sympathetically.  Just when I was trying to figure out how to jump out of his car we pulled up to the house. He got out of the car, walked around and opened the passenger door for me. He leaned over and gave me a tight hug. I let go and headed towards the the house. Before I opened  the door Eric called to me "Hey Roxie, I enjoyed our time together. See you soon." Then he sped away. 
      I couldn't get inside fast enough. He'd just confirmed it. They'd found us. No one here ever called me Roxie. They all knew me as Anne. I had difficulty getting the story out when Tony met me at the door. "We need to leave now" he'd said. "We will go" had been my reply. 
      The bus hits a bump and I jerk awake. "Sorry about that." The driver calls. Tony is asleep with his head leaning against the window and Misha has buried herself in his back and begun snoring lightly. I check the map again. A few more stops and we'll need to get off. 

No comments:

Post a Comment