Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Elementals 22

    After what feels like endless hours on the bus. We pull into the town I've chosen. Bethelham, New Hampshire. I stand up and signal to Tony that we're getting off here. He and Misha stand and pull their backpacks on. We move to the front of the bus past the few other passengers who have boarded the bus at various stops. When I step off the bus I take a deep breathe of the fresh air. The three of us don't smell very fresh after these few days on the run. 
     I head towards the bus station wanting to use a real bathroom after hours on the bus. Misha waits in the lobby with Tony while I attempt to freshen up. I take a small hand towel out of my backpack and wet it with warm water. I scrub my face, then give myself a makeshift sponge bath. It's time to get rid of my shirt. So I pull out a solid gray T-shirt to put on. I toss the one I'd been wearing in the trash. I twist my hair once again into two French braids. After I've finished freshening up I go into the lobby and get Misha. As I was her face I tell her " mommy is sorry for scaring you." She stands silently watching me. " I love you so much that I was really scared when you disappeared." I pause, but she says nothing. "I wasn't mad at you. Do you forgive me?" Misha gives me a hug. I take it as a good sign. I give Misha a makeshift bath and change her clothes as well. Once I've pulled her curls into a tight bun we exit the bathroom. 
      Misha and I meet up with Tony coming out of the men's room also in fresh clothes. "Let's find an inexpensive place to eat." I suggest. We find what may be the only Denny's in Bethelham and sit down for a late breakfast. Pancakes are ordered all around. A silent tribute to our fallen friend. As we chew I pull out a small black case and unzip it. I shift through the doctored identification cards, passports and birth certificates. I take out a driver's license for Ericka Reynolds and put it in my pocket. "I think we should get a rental." I say. " It'll be easier to get across the border if we're driving ourselves." Tony nods and replies through a mouthful of pancakes "I think you're right. This trip is not going nearly as smooth as we'd hoped." Misha sits sipping her hot cocoa and watching us. Her silence worries me. 
  An hour later I slide the credit card and driver's license for Ericka Reynolds to a cashier at the car rental lot. She looks like she's barely 18, easily fooled by them. I get the keys to a four door Ford and head to the car with Misha and Tony following. Misha gets into the back without a word. I take the wheel and Tony rides shotgun. I burn rubber as I head back to the 93. Tony tells me to take it easy a few times as we fly up the highway and I change lanes. I'm on edge and feel that every car is following us. When I decide that taking the main highway is not safe for us I exit and start taking the back roads. Misha has been silently staring out her window. Occasionally rubbing her arms in the place where I grabbed her so tightly. I pull over and tell Tony to take over driving. A cool breeze wraps itself around me and blows passed as I move to the passenger side. I twist the key that still hangs around my neck and remind myself to ask Misha if she's felt powers developing. Tony eases the Ford back onto the road. 

No comments:

Post a Comment