Friday, December 26, 2014

Elementals 2

  Most people think that the Sun fuels a fire elemental and it does, but it also drains us. Anything taken from the Sun must be returned. The full moon however, is a different story. When the moon is full it's at it's strongest and because the cycle will begin again the moon gives energy without needing it back.
  I extinguish the flame in my palm and close my eyes again. I draw energy from the heat in the moon and try again. This time when I open my eyes there is a small ball of flame over each palm. I extinguish the flames and sit cross legged on the ground. I'm worried I won't be strong enough. What I need is a blood moon.
   Those are so rare. The last one was 5 years ago. I cringe at the memory. What should have been the happiest night of my life was turned into the worst. I remember the sharp pain in my stomach that had signaled it was time. Jayson helped me out of little house and to our chosen spot in the woods. It was all prepared blankets , towels, water etc. This is our way Elementals are Bourne of nature therefore we are born into nature.
  A fresh wave of pain hit as I lay on the blankets , blood moon blazing in the sky. I squeezed Jayson's hand so tightly that a slight breeze rustled the trees. I am fire and Jayson he is wind. Our union was watched closely by the elders of our kind. There is old lore about a child being born to two strong elementals under the blood moon. At that point I was the most powerful fire elemental in decades and Jayson's control of the wind was unmatched. Some believed that because air fuels fire that the child I carried would be the one from the old stories. A child who would possess power over all four elements. Earth, wind, water and fire.
   Its just lore old, fairy tales, we told ourselves. When we fell in love there was no stopping us. We moved as far as we could and still be part of the clan. Fear grew in our hearts when we discovered I was pregnant. We made plans. Talked with Tony, Jayson's brother the only one we could trust. We knew we'd have to run. 
  The strongest wave of pain paired with an overwhelming urge to push hit me. I drew strength from Jayson and the blood moon. Then she was here in the world. Misha was in my arms. "How long?" I asked Jayson. "How long until they can sense her presence?". "Not long" he said. "We have to get you back to the house. Can you stand?" I was so weak. I didn't think I could move. I shook my head. Jayson bent over and picked us up in his arms. I felt the wind beneath us. He used the force of it to float the three of is back to the house. He lay me and Misha in the bed and demanded I rest. I closed my eyes and felt Misha snuggle against me. 

   I wasn't sure how long I had been asleep when I felt the bed shake. The ground was moving beneath the house. The elders they were coming to take Misha from us. Jayson was in the room before I could call for him followed by Tony. "I'm still to weak". I said panic in my heart. "Don't worry. We got this." Jayson had that wild gleam in his hazel eyes I'd fallen in love with. Tony helped me to my feet. We placed Misha in a baby carrier I wore over my chest. The tremors under my feet grew stronger. Jayson leaned over and kissed Misha on the top of her head. Then he grabbed me and gave me a kiss that fueled the flames inside me. "Jayson, you can't". I knew then he'd passed some of his strength on to me. "I love you he said". Tony pulled me towards the back of the house where his truck was waiting. I stumbled as the strongest tremor yet hit our grounds. We peeled away from the house and as I looked back I saw the door of the house explode. A tornado was forming above the house and I knew that Jayson was using the last of stregth to help us get away. We weren't far from the house whe  n I felt Jayson's strength leave me. Like the wind he was gone. I lost Jayson then, I will not lose Misha now. I stand up and throw my hands out in frustration. The tree across from me erupts in flames. 

No comments:

Post a Comment