Sunday, December 28, 2014

Elementals 3

    I turn my back to the tree as tears form in my eyes. I try to push down the painful memories and kick myself for losing control. "Great", I whisper to myself. Not only have I lost control but I've endangered us by setting the tree on fire. Just as real panic starts to take over, the heat from the tree behind me subsides. I turn back to the tree and see Tony standing there with a hand outstretched. The tree now drenched and only slightly smoking.
   I am fire. Jayson was wind and Tony, he is water. " What are you doing out here?" he asks. "practicing." I reply. "Are you ok?" he asks. "Your eyes are watering". Tony was never one to mince words. Always putting his foot in his mouth. "Too close to the flames". I lie wiping the tears with my shirt sleeve. "Piece of advice. Next time you want to practice, bring me along." Tony says as we walk back towards the house.
    "Why'd you come outside?" I ask. Sharpening my stalking skills." He deadpans. I give him a look of distaste. Last thing I want to hear right now is a joke about stalking. He may always say the wrong thing but he reads me well. "Couldn't sleep. I checked in on Misha and noticed you weren't with her. Boy that kid can sleep." "This has been an overwhelming day for everyone especially her." I reply. "Let's try and get some rest. Tomorrow we start planning. " I say closing the door and securing the locks behind be. Tony gives me a salute then returns to the couch. I slip into the bed with Misha and let her steady breathing lull me to sleep.

    That night I dream of the wind. It's moving fast through the trees and I'm running to catch it. "Jayson " I call out. "Please stop. Don't leave us behind." I keep running but it's too fast. I fall to my knees and press my hands to the ground . Flames encircle me. They're out of control coming closer, crawling up my body. I start to scream.

    "Mommy, are you O.K.?' Misha is shaking me. I open my eyes and look at her. I smile and say that I'm fine, but I can see the fear in her eyes. My palms are sweaty and when I look down I see the sheets are cinged where I gripped them while I slept. I take a few deep breaths to calm myself. I've tried to shelter Misha from who we are, but soon the time will come for her to know the truth. I sit up using my legs to cover the burned parts of the sheets and grin at Misha. "Are you hungry ?" I ask. "Pancakes!" We say in unison. She jumps out of the bed and I follow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment