Monday, December 29, 2014

Elementals 5

    After some convincing it's settled. We'll do some training then start our trip in about a week. First for me anyway is the hard part. I need to figure out how to explain this all to Misha. I know she senses something is different about me and uncle Tony, even Alexis who is pretty much human. Alexis comes from a lineage of Elementals that married humans. Her bloodline has been diluted but she still possesses a little power. This talk would be easier if Misha had ever shown any sign of power, but so far she hasn't. It's kind of funny in a twisted way all this running and hiding because the elders think Misha is the child of legend. Too bad for them she's not. I finishes splashing cold water on my face and head out of the bathroom. Now or never I tell myself. 

    Misha and Tony are playing a game where she tries to name supplies we need from the grocery store that start with the letter M like her name. Tony high fives her after she rattles off "mints, M&Ms, meat and money". "Definitely money." I say. Her big eyes light up at the sound of my voice. "Mommy, I won." She says. "That's great honey. And now it's time for your prize." I tell her. "Alexis, Tony meet us out back". I beckon to Misha and she follows me toward the back door.  I sit on the porch and Misha joins me. "I want to tell you something about how special our family is." I tell her. She looks at me curiously. "Your daddy, he was a special man." "Jayson!" She interjects. I fight back tears. "Yes, honey. Jayson. He was like magic." I say. "We all are". Her eyes grow big and she starts to laugh. "Are you tricking me?" Clear disbelief in her voice. "Come on. I'll show you." I say getting up and walking off the porch. She hurries to my side and I hear the back door close behind Alexis and Tony. 

    I lead them to the spot in the woods I used last night. It's now marked by the charred tree. We sit on the ground in a circle. Misha wants for us to provide her with evidence of this magic.  I'm sitting directly across from her. "I'll start." I say closing my eyes so that I can concentrate. The increasingly familiar heat warms me from the inside. When I open my eyes Misha is clapping and smiling ear to ear. There are flames dancing in my palm, almost performing for her. She gasps when Tony releases a stream of water from his hand that reaches across the circle and extinguishes my flames. "Auntie Alexis, you next" Misha exclaims. Alexis sighs and stands up. I've no idea if enough power has trickled down for her to put on display. The three of us wait with bated breath. Alexis places both palms on the burned tree then closes her eyes. Nothing happens. I start thinking of how to explain her situation, when I see it. The tree is regenerating, the char slowly disappearing. When it's completely healed, no sign it was ever burned Alexis sinks to the ground. Tony rushes over and asks if she's o.k.. " fine, it just drains me quickly " she huffs out leaning against the tree. "Magic" Misha says almost to herself. " My turn now?" She asks. I nod yes, thinking maybe she's developed a skill I hadn't noticed in the chaos. Misha closes her eyes and concentrates like I did. When she opens them she has nothing to show for it. She tries again this time mimicking the hand motion Tony used to create the stream of water. Nothing. She stands up and goes to the tree placing her hands on it. Still nothing. She looks at me, frustration in her eyes. "Don't worry baby. It takes a long time for powers to develop." I lie. "Let's head back inside for lunch." The four of us walk towards the house and I wonder how I will explain that Misha's only power is the lack of one. A breeze moves through the trees and I look around before closing the door behind me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment