Friday, December 26, 2014

Elementals 1

"We will go. We will go." I say again. This time out loud snapping myself out of the shock. I knew this day would come. The day I'd been preparing for over the last 5 years. "Go get the car" I order Tony. He walks away without a word. Presumably to pull the car out of the garage. I grab Misha's small hand in mine, then the suitcase I keep prepacked by the front door in the other. I slam the door behind me not bothering to lock it. It doesn't matter now that they've found us. Tony pulls the black SUV out of the garage and I open the back passenger door, first the suitcase, then Misha. After she is secure I jump in and ride shotgun with Tony. As we fly down the road I notice two black town cars creeping up the block from the opposite direction. "Floor it" I say as we head for the cabin.
The full moon shines bright tonight and the urge to stand under it and bask in the glow flickers within me. I fight the urge and look back at Misha, sleeping quietly in the backseat. Her light brown curls have come loose from her pigtails and have fallen onto her forehead. I take a deep sigh and thank God for the 5 years of pieces I had with my Angel. The car slows as Tony turns off the main road and heads up a hidden dirt path to the cabin. I knock in the special pattern I memorized years ago. I hear a dead bolt move, then several locks clicking open. I let out a sigh of relief there were no lights on and no sign of a car when we drove up. The door opens slightly and I raise my hands up when I realize I'm looking at  the barrel of a shot gun. Behind it stands Alexis at 5'9 she towers over me. Her afro is perfect as always and she wears all black making her body blind into the darkness. "Alexis. Its me. Its Roxie." I say. "Well what the hell are you doing standing around outside?" She asks lowering the shotgun. I signal to Tony and he scoops Misha up into his strong hands then gently puts her over his shoulder. One hand on her back the other carrying the suitcase. Alexis steps back and let's us in.
Tony has put Misha on the bed in the spare room. "She's out" he says sinking down next to me on the couch. Alexis sits across from us on a smaller couch. "They found us". I tell her. "We knew this would happen one day" she says grimly. "Can we stay?" I ask. "Not for long just until we've got a clear plan." Alexis stands and pats me on the shoulder. "If it's a plan you need, I'm your girl. You know I'll do whatever I can to protect you and my God daughter." She stretches, yawns and says she's going back to bed. Tony offers to take the couch. I check in on Misha. She's curled into a little ball under the sheets sleeping soundly. Something about the full moon brings us both piece. I sneak out the back door and sit on the little porch facing the deep woods. The pull of the moon is stronger here. So close to nature. I walk off the porch and head towards the woods. I pause before entering and let the moons glow wash over me. When I'm deep enough into the woods that I won't be seen I close my eyes and concentrate. I haven't done this is years but now I need to practice, sharpen my skills so that I can protect Misha. After just a moment of concentration I feel the heat in my body. I open my eyes and watch the ball of flame I've created in my palm. This is who I really am. Roxanne born to a family of Elementals. And me . I am Fire.

Check out the full story on Amazon and in the Kindle store now for just $2.99
Note the title has been changed. Be on the look out for book 2: Wind Keeper coming soon.

The Roxie Chronicles 1: Burn by Raquel Antoinette

No comments:

Post a Comment