Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Elementals 4

    The smell coming from the little kitchen is delightful. I walk in and take a seat on a stool at the counter next to Misha. Tony and Alexis are cooking. They are working together effortlessly. He seems to know what she needs before she does. Alexis puts her hand out behind her without looking back and Tony deftly drops an egg into it. She cracks it over the side of a pan and begins working on an omelette . Tony places chopped veggies on a plate near the pan. Alexis tosses them in the pan without looking up. Today, she's wearing dark blue skinny jeans that show off her figure, a loose fitting black top and black boots. My stomach growls at the smell of bacon now sizzling on the stove. Misha giggles. The sound of her laughter pulls Alexis and Tony out of the cooking zone they were in. Plates are set on the counter and breakfast is placed neatly on the plates by Alexis. Tony, Misha and I grin at each other and say in unison "precision". 
  Alexis finishes folding the towel she'd been using to clean and looks up at us. "Well I'm glad to see my young students remember the things I say." She says. Tony appearing to take offense says " I'm not that young" between bites of his omelette. "Finish up" she orders. "You two can use my bathroom to shower and change" she says with a nod to me and Misha. "It's time to come up with a plan" I stuff the little food left on my plate into my mouth and take Misha by the hand. Her plate is nearly empty and I know she's done. As we walk out I hear Alexis and Tony talking quietly as they wash the dishes. 

    We're sitting on the couches in the living room area of the cabin. I've made an attempt to tame the curly madness that is Misha's hair. It's in a bun on the too of her head and rogue curls are peeking out around it. I smile as I sneak peaks at my daughter with her honey colored skin and hazel eyes like her fathers. She's engulfed in a picture book about fairys. I want to tell her about us, about Jayson, but now's not the time. Alexis has spread a map out on a coffee table between the three of us. "I think we should head north". I say throwing out my idea. Tony's eyes scan the mapping searching for a safe route. Alexis sits up straight putting a hand under her chain considering my words. "We can keep to the back roads. Stick to the woods." I say. Tony and Alexis exchange a look. "I'm sorry, we can't insure you for a journey like that." Alexis says. I give her a questioning look. She sighs. "Sticking to the back roads is a good plan. Even heading north, but the woods." "It's where I feel the strongest." I say. "That's the point. It's also where they'll be the strongest too  and we can't insure your safety on a trip like that. Tony nods his head in agreement. I take control of the situation pointing out a route on the map.
"We'll take this route and head north then out of the country." I say. "But first we train" I say sparking the map where my finger is pointing to our final stop. A safe house we'd used five years ago. 

No comments:

Post a Comment