Monday, January 12, 2015

Elementals 16

   Tony finishes pumping the gas and heads into the little convenience store. I turn to face Misha. Her hair is a mess of curls and I can tell she's been crying. "Come on, let's go to the bathroom." I say. Misha rubs her eyes and gets out of the car. I follow locking the car with my set of keys.
     I take Misha into the bathroom which is surprisingly clean. I wet some paper towels and start wiping her face. She hasn't said a word to me and she looks so sad. I've never seen this kind of pain in her eyes. I can't bring myself to ask if she's o.k. So instead I ask if she needs to use the bathroom. She nods her head yes and I walk outside closing the door to the little bathroom. I lean my back against the door and wait. 
       My body aches but it doesn't compare to the pain in my soul. I feel like the fire inside me is close to being extinguished permanently. I move away from the door and take a good look around while trying to stretch out my arms and legs. The rain has stopped and the air is still. Our car is the only one at the pumps. I can see Tony inside at the counter. No one else is here. Misha comes out of the bathroom and walks right passed me heading for the car. A strong wind seems to follow in her wake. I can almost see it wrap around her as she pulls on the door handle. I head for the car wondering if Misha has been blessed with her father's gift. It's the one she didn't try the first day I explained Elementals to her. 
      I take the keys from my pocket as I reach the car. I reach out to touch Misha's tangled hair and ask "baby, are you alright?" She recoils at my touch and I see anger in her face. "No, I'm not alright. I hate you. It's all your fault!" She screams in reply. Before I've completely taken in her harsh words she's let go of the car and taken off at a run towards the woods. I scream for Tony and run after her. 
     I find her not far into the woods sitting in the grass. She's hugging her knees to her chest and her head is down. I lower myself to the ground behind her. I put my arms out and pull Misha into my lap. She doesn't pull away. Instead she turns and buries her face in my neck. I feel her shake with tears. I break down too. The wind picks up and I feel it wrap around the both of us. It warms me and suddenly I am calm.
    "You two need more time?" Tony asks. I let go of Misha and we both stand. I tell Tony "I don't know if I can keep doing this. How can I continue letting others pay for my choices. You've given up a life of your own to help us. I...I think we should go on without you." Tony hugs me tight before I can finish. "I promised my brother I would take care of you and I intend to." "I don't think I could live with myself if something happened to you." I say. "It's my decision." He says. Misha comes over and stands between us. She takes one of my hands and one of Tony's. We head back to the car. 

No comments:

Post a Comment